How to… send an email in Windows
Are you wondering how to send an email on a Windows computer? Here are the basic steps:
What you’ll learn:
- How to open an email app
- How to create an email
- How to add text or attachments to an email
- How to send an email
Step 1 – Open an email app
An email app is what you'll use to create and send an email. If you're on a Windows computer, you might have "Outlook" or "Mail" installed:
- To open it, go to the Windows Start Menu (Click on the icon in the bottom left corner of screen):
- Search (you can type or scroll through) for the email app and click on it:
Step 2 - Create an email
Once the email app is open, select the "New mail" button
You might see a slightly different name for this button on your computer/app e.g. "New message" or "Compose email" but they all mean the same thing.
Step 3 – Parts of an email
In the new email screen, you’ll be able to add the parts of an email:
1. To: Choose who you want to send it to and type their email address in this box.
- Emails are sent between email addresses which look something like "[email protected]" or "[email protected]"
- It's important that you put the right email address in the "To: " field so that it is sent to the right person.
2. Subject: This is where you explain what your email is about e.g. History Homework
3. Message body: This is where you type your full message e.g.
I was wondering if you could please help with my history homework. The topic this week is World War II and I know that you had some book recommendations for this. Please let me know.
Step 4 (optional) – attaching a file
The email screen is divided into tabs, which let you do different things
The “Insert” tab lets you add files to emails, not just words. For example, you could add a file that you have downloaded from the internet. To attach a file:
- Click on the "Insert" tab and then the paperclip symbol
- A window will open, where you can choose what file you want to add:
- Click the “Open” button to add the file to your email:
Step 5 – Sending the email
When you’ve added everything you want to the email, you’re ready to send! Just click the “Send” button and your email will be sent. Remember to double check that you have added the correct file before you click send.